Monday, June 16, 2008

Sunrise

On a recent morning I awoke while it was still dark and could not go back to sleep. I decided to head up the mountain to catch the sunrise over Tokyo Bay. The morning was partly cloudy with a mist rising from the bay. I waited and then it rose. A massive red ball cut through the morning haze. It appeared as a living Japanese flag. I do not know if this is the norm of the rising sun in Japan or merely the way it rises through the summer humidity or just on that particular morning, but it was much different than the sunrises that I have seen over the Atlantic Ocean and from mountains in America and India. From those locations, the sun was yellow-orange, much smaller coming over the horizon and speckled the surrounding clouds with colors from the entire spectrum. Not so on this recent morning, it appeared as a big red ball in the white haze.


I plan to see more sunrises in the coming months, I will write of what I see and post pictures.

No comments: