Thursday, November 13, 2008

Adventure 11: Hakone

10/25/08 I awoke, took a set of trains (one with a clear view of Fujisan’s newly snow-capped peak) and a bus and arrived at Lake Ashino. I was very relieved to arrive in the nature, for the week prior was busy and unsettling.

As I arrived, the sun began to shine through the clouds and enlighten the waters and the wind whipped large ripples into the lake’s surface and loudly rustled the vegetation. The wild beauty of the moment brought me to a state of giddiness and I began to sing and skip along the lakeside.

I continued a few hundred feet along a stone path along the lake and took a seat on the beach. I watched the light flicker in the waves, took out the flute and played some soft slow music to accompany the sounds of gushing waves and rustling trees.

Afterwards, I took a paved road and a hiking trail up to the top of Mt Komagatake (1350m). The top had brilliant views of Lake Ashino, Sagami Bay, the beginnings of fall foliage and Fujisan (which had grey clouds covering its neck and head). I wanted to stay and take it in, but the wind was overpowering and too cold for my sweaty chest. This forced me to immediately head down through a pine forest, stepping over a trail filled with red, orange and yellow maple leaves, to a site called Owakudani. There, there was smoking volcanic gas rising from the hillside, a clearer view of Fujisan (whose head cloud slowly began to thin and vanish into the heavens) and the most powerful winds of the day.

I headed up the hillside and took a seat with a view of the huge lurking mass of Fujisan. In a moment of peace, I watched the clouds slowly dissipate above its head and the lines and patches of snow on its peak.

After, I headed back home. Refreshed.

No comments: