Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Shodo (Part II)

As written earlier, I have been practicing calligraphy with my home stay father, or Oto-osan. He has introduced me to a style and set of techniques that have taken my ability to the next level.

The style is a mix between kai-sho (common script) and gyo-sho (cursive script) and includes four characters on one page.

This format has also introduced me to the Japanese art of the four character idiom. The following is the meanings of works of this page (top right, bottom right, top left, bottom left). “No break, No bend.” “One will, master (of) the heart.” “Taiko (Drumming), soul beating.” and “Initial will, penetrates the completion.”

Oto-osan taught me a number of techniques that have greatly increased the quality of my work. The most important is the step-by-step process of making each individual stroke. First, push the brush down from a 90 degree angle, hold for one second, then move and pause for one second at the end and lift up. (I believe such is good guidance for handling the ventures of life. First, pause for contemplation and decide the right course of action. Then move forward without looking back. At the end, take a moment to make sure everything went well and then move on.)

As we learn, Oto-osan often spouts pearls of brilliant wisdom and inspiration with his low deep voice. He has said, “write small, looks big,” “continue is power,” and “concentrate, practice, concentrate, practice.”

One night he told me, “flavorman, is a gentleman.” At the time, I nodded and laughed, but didn’t understand what he meant until after much contemplation.

I always envisioned flavor as the “bam” spice of Emeril Legasse, which is anything but what we think of as gentle. After thinking further, I understood that flavor is not dependent on extremes of hotness or sweetness.

Flavor is a refined taste that comes from harmony with and consideration of the other foods. Something stolid、dry and innovative has no flavor, but neither does an overpowering spice.

In the same way, a person could have a fiery personality, and bring loud laughter and joy, but if he or she does not consider the feelings of others, his presence can spoil the atmosphere. As making careful combinations of spices, herbs, and base foods, makes a delicious meal, the gentle nature of a flavorman takes a group of individuals and makes a family.

Thank G-d, I have had extraordinary teachers. May such fortune continue.

No comments: